The Town Alone at Sea (By Olivia)

 When I look up at the stars, twinkling forevermore, I remember the true feeling of home.


Home was not quite what others would think of it to be. Though the island of Fornhea provided a sense of security and complete safety, my heart dared to believe that the true meaning of home, at least for myself, was the calling of freedom and adventure to a land far beyond the seemingly infinite waves of the sea.


And when I gazed up at those twinkling beings of light, excitedly glimmering without fail each and every nightfall, home had felt within my reach.


Peace washed over my entire being as I closed my stormy blue eyes, relishing in the complete and utter silence yet undeniable beauty of the night.


Nighttime allowed me to ponder deep in thought. Though life on the island I inhabited wasn't exciting in the slightest, the night nonetheless enabled me to collect my thoughts and emotions, and dream of the life I longed to be a part of.


The royal dusk above painted the clouds with faded hues, resembling a magical spell cast by that of a wizard's ancient wand of wonders. The sky transformed into a unique pattern at this time of evening, taking the shape of whatever it dared to become... How I wish the course of my life could be the same-


"Jane! What are you doing out there?" The booming voice of my mother's echoed across the nearly silent island, my head quickly shooting backward to face the place I called home.


I sighed softly to myself, shaking my head slightly at her choice of words.


"Just relaxing out here."


I could hear the visible annoyance in Mother's tone as she shouted. I would've been able to hear her perfectly if she spoke softer, since no sound had rivaled a voice besides the rustling of the gentle waves.


"Dinner is ready! Your father and I have been waiting for you to get yourself back in this house. The food ought to be cold by now!" 


I quietly chuckled to myself at my mother's dramatic sound, allowing my legs to rise from their seated position upon the sand, dusting my plain blue dress of the mess that was certain to happen if I'd stepped within my home without doing so. I ensured to shake my dark blonde locks as well, the bun I had tied beforehand appearing slightly lopsided from the rapid movements of my head.


After tidying myself up, I allowed my feet to carry me back to my area of stay, wistfully glancing backward towards the gently flowing blanket of blue before I scurried off.


My footsteps sounded as I entered the house I'd been called to by my mother's voice. This was the home I grew up in; from the time of my birth to my presently teenage self. Just the sight of the indoors brought me to great amounts of peace and comfort; like a warm embrace tightly wrapped around my waist, never daring to let go.


I immediately glanced at the dinner table, finding that my meal was completely layed out in front of my own eyes. Though the food I had eaten for dinner every night had certainly not been much, usually being grains of rice or porridge, I learned to grow grateful for the fact that I had food on my plate, and loving parents that had prepared it for our small family to enjoy.


So I placed myself upon the seat of the dinner table, carefully grasping my eating utensils as I began taking bites of my small yet satisfying meal.


Once dinner had passed, it was quite a late hour; I could tell by the moon's full appearance in the brilliantly twinkling sky above. 'Much too late for mother and father to allow me outside', I thought solemnly, carrying myself from my dinner table to the room I had resided in.


And this room I had spent my nights and some parts of my days in had not been much either. It had been quite compact and humble; comparable to a box, in fact.


I appreciated this home and island I'd spent the entirety of my life in. I loved it with every fiber of my being, but... I've always, always, felt that there was something much more than this small little town by the endlessly growing sea.


The town alone at sea...


No.


I refuse to believe that we are truly alone in this sea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Poll

Updates - November + Gotta Catch 'Em All Schedule