The Lawn - A Short Story

The Lawn
By Mark Tarver

“Don’t go on his lawn!” Kate shouted, as I halted to a stop. My favorite soccer ball, with white parts replaced with gray and black parts replaced blue, landed on Mr. Cropper’s lawn, the WORST neighbor ever.
“That chump? Please, I’m not afraid of him!” But the truth was that I had slight discomfort with this. He always takes kids toys and never gives them back. Timothy’s trike, Sarah’s football, Jack’s Nerf Laser Ops Pro – any toy, gone.
And, yes, he’s a stereotyped neighbor who is rude. And the elderly has an excuse because somethings in the modern age SUCK! But he’s only in his 30’s.
And the CREPPY house. It’s an olive green with a red-brown mixed trim, and 2 stories of fear, like 1 wasn’t enough. Also, a tiny statue on the top of his triangle roof of a screaming man holding a “RUN… WHILE YOU CAN!” sign doesn’t help either. OF COURSE, he doesn’t have a drive way, so I can’t hide behind his car for cover.
But this soccer ball was a present from my grandad, because he, Dad, and I LOVED soccer. But my grandad passed away few years back. The main idea: I’m getting that ball back, no matter WHAT the cost.
“Zack, it’s not worth it!” Tarren tells me. Too late, I was already on The Lawn. My ball was RIGHT at his door. And in one of the windows, I saw him reading a magazine. So, I ran up and grabbed it. But the door swung open.
“GET OFF MY LAWN!” He swooped my ball and slammed the door.
“Come on, lets just go.” Kate persuaded.
“We can tell our parents!” Tarren said.
“Yes we could. AND WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? HE’D INVITE THEM TO DINNER, MAKE UP VERY BAD STUFF ABOUT US, AND FOR A WEEK WE’D GET GROUNDED! I’M GETTING THAT BALL NO MATTER THE COST!” And with that, I ran to the left side of his house.
He has security, but it’s cheap. I quickly cut the 1 wire that protected everything with my emergency scissors and continue. I see a room… WITH ALL THESE TOYS! I take a few shots of it with my phone, but a hand touches my shoulder. “GIVE ME MY BALL BACK!” I exclaimed.
“Chill, its us.” Kate calmly informs.
“Yeah!” Tarren adds. “We couldn’t leave you here by yourself, bro!” He points to the window in astonishment. “Frizzy the Frisby?”
“Let’s get everyone’s toy’s back.” I say.
“But we need a distraction!” Tarren tells us.
“I can make a call.” Kate informs me.
“Ok, lets meet back in about 10 minutes. Gather other kids and supplies. We MIGHT be able to pull this off.”
We meet back with a few other kids: Sarah, Timothy, and Jack. Those 3 are distracting Mr. Cropper. We went to the window of the room with the toys, and it was unlocked.
Lousy mistake.
We went in and started placing all the toys in bags. That’s when I realized something: HIS WIFE WAS PULLING UP IN HER CAR! YES!
Ok, hold on.
Mrs. Cropper is one of the sweetest people I know, not crazy, and gives kids their toys back. So, she came out and saw the other 3 outside talking. She went in.
We lost track of our cranky suspect until - Mr. Cropper came into to the room we’re in. “WHAT? WHY ARE YOU IN MY HOUSE?” I got steamed.
Kate tried to explain. “SO SORRY SIR! IT’S JUST –”
I was tired of playing nice. “GIMME MY BALL BACK YOU JERK!” I told him.
“GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!” he roared.
“GIVE ME MY BALL!” I returned the snap-back.
“WHAT IS GOING ON?” Mrs. Cropper asked.
We both started to explain ourselves, but with the both of us talking at the same time, making it sound like gibberish, it was no use.
SO, later that day, Mrs. Cropper gave all the kids their toys back, and Mr. Cropper HAD to apologize for EACH ONE of them.
And I got my ball back, along with justice! But, for going into someone’s house without permission, Mom, Dad, and Mrs. Cropper forced me and Mr. Cropper to play ball together.
So, SADLY, I was kicking around MY ball with him, and eventually he started doing tricks. “You don’t know any of this, but I DO.” Oh, it was on. I did a kick flip on the ball, and he started to do this head and knee bounce thing with the ball. Eventually, I scored a goal from the makeshift goal out of wood.
“Hey, do you mind teaching me some of those tricks?” I asked. I was hesitant at first, but he surprised me by saying:
“No, not at all.”

To submit your own work: https://forms.gle/8CpQEB2x4RQu7b717

Comments

  1. Luke Skywalker: "...Get off my lawn!"
    Rey: "..."
    Luke Skywalker: "I've won Best Lawn ten years in a row! No one's ever won it eleven times, and you're not going to ruin that!"

    Seen that video? Lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Poll

Updates - November + Gotta Catch 'Em All Schedule