The Baby - A Short Story


The Baby – A Short Story
By Mark Tarver
“WHAAA!” Shelly cried, and Mom had to get her milk formula for her to stop. “Glap-hee-hoo.” she prattled, sucking hard on the bottle.
It’s been 6 months with the baby, and I’m still not used to her being here. The worst part was probably that I had to babysit her. Wait, the second worst part. The absolute WORST part is that she IS cute.
“Remember, Amber, the instructions are on the fridge, and Shelly’s food is in the fridge!” They were off within seconds. I glanced at Shelly. She stuck her tongue out at me. Then she continued to suck her milk.
“Whatever.” I grabbed my phone, flopped on the couch, and started texting my friends for about 10 minutes before I head a crash. I jumped out of my seat and almost hit the ceiling. Shelly just tipped over her cup. “Hey, watch it!” I said. I placed the cup on the counter, and the baby started crying. I sighed and gave it to her. “Ok, you happy?” She just started sucking again.
“NO WAY!”
I jumped out of my seat again, this time nearly dropping my phone. “I HAVE to go to my friend’s house.!” Like magic, Shelly took one hard look at me.
“Nu!” For only 6 months, this girl is rude!
“FINE.” I said through gritted teeth. WAIT! I realized something! I could invite them to my house! I sent a text saying: “Come over to my place! It’ll be tons of fun!”
They all came over within 10 min. Shelly did not approve of this. Every time one of them came in she would stick her tongue out at me.
“AWWW!” Sophia, my life long friend, explained. “She’s ADORABLE!” However, my other non-life long friends we disgusted by this fact.
“Why is there a baby here?” Crystal asked me.
“Because I was forced to babysit.” I explained.
“CAN I FEED HER?” Sophia WAS excited, and I didn’t want her to spit up on me, especially after last time. I STILL can’t get the sandy-color out of my jacket, which luckily is those type you can turn inside out.
“Do what you wish.” I handed her the bowl of food, and Shelly started sucking the food real loud. I thought it was kind of cute. But the others (besides Sophia) glanced.
“EWW!” Crystal yelled.
“Disgusting.” Terry quickly stated in his normal goth tone.
“WHY?” Samantha wined as she witnessed it.
“Its not bad!” Sophia said. “Forget you all if you think so. Right, Amber?”
PRO: Happy sister.
CON: My friends wouldn’t like me.
“No, its weird.” I said quickly. But then Shelly ate a little TOO much and spat up on Samantha.
“EWW!” She yelled.
“Stupid baby!” Terry yelled.
“Bad girl!” Crystal taunted.
Shelly looked troubled. She got this sad little look in her eyes, and she started to whine a bit. “Shut up already!” Crystal yelled. “We’re trying to watch a floss dance challenge on YouTube without you WHINING!” She threw Shelly’s binky.
THAT’S IT.
“HEY! LEAVE HER ALONE!” I smacked Crystals phone and stood up. “YOU 3 ARE JERKS! NOW OUT! AND GIVE ME MONEY TO REPLACE THAT BINKY THAT FELL ON THE WELCOME MATT!”
“I thought you were cool!” Crystal complained.
“THROWING A BINKY? CALLING A BABY DISGUSTING?!” Sophia acknowledged.
“THE CRAP YOU JUST PULLED WAS NOT COOL! NOW, GET OUT! BEFORE I SAY A FEW WORDS I SHOULD NOT BE SAYING AROUND A BABY!” I yelped.
All of them except Sophia ran with their stuff, except Samantha, who ran with her hands up in a circle like direction (Like a lego person...I always knew she was weird) as they cowered away.
“Wait, I think Shelly is trying to say something!” Sophia said, right as Mom and Dad came in.
“Who were those people?” Mom questioned.
“SHHHH!” I quickly shushed.
Shelly pointed to my former friends and said 3 words that made me proud.
“An’ ‘tay out!”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun Poll

Updates - November + Gotta Catch 'Em All Schedule